From the 2nd March 2015 there will be a noticeable change to the current drug driving laws. There are new limits set for both illegal drugs and also certain prescription medications.
- Heroin and diamorphine – 5µg/L
- LSD – 1µg/L
- Cocaine – 10µg/L
- Benzoylecgonine (cocaine) – 50 micrograms per litre of blood (µg/L)
- Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (cannabis) – 2µg/L
- Methylamphetamine – 10µg/L
- MDMA (ecstasy) – 10µg/L
- Ketamine – 20µg/L
The level for Cannabis has been set to rule out passive smoking.
The prescription drugs and their limits are:
- Temazepam (anti-anxiety and sedative) – 1,000µg/L
- Morphine (pain relief) – 80µg/L
- Clonazepam (used to treat seizures and panic disorder) – 50µg/L
- Flunitrazepam (Rohypnol – sedative) – 300µg/L
- Methadone (heroin substitute) – 500µg/L
- Oxazepam (anti-anxiety) – 300µg/L
- Diazepam (anti-anxiety) – 550µg/L
- Lorazepam (anti-anxiety) – 100µg/L
What are the penalties?
If found guilty of driving or attempting to drive a motor vehicle on a road whilst under the influence of drugs the penalties are:
- A fine up to £5,000
- A minimum one-year driving ban
- A criminal record
Your driving licence will also be endorsed for a drug-driving conviction and will remain so for 11 years.
Employers just ask yourself these questions?
Have you communicated these legal changes to your employees and do they understand that this now includes certain prescription medications?
Does your policy provide guidance on managing prescription medication?
Do you regularly test your lorry, van or car drivers?
Have you updated your induction training package for new starters?
If your organisation undertakes alcohol testing using an independent provider, have you notified them of the changes to your policy?
Drug Testing Kits
BP Associates provide clients with a wide range of point of care test kits. Our oral fluid swabs are particularly ideal for screening employees driving vehicles on public roads whilst at work. There are various drug panels available. Please see combination sample below:
- Opiates (Heroin)
- Amphetamine (Speed)
Dependent on the numbers ordered we will also provide free training and free on loan evidential breathalyzers used by the UK police forces. Our drug test point of care kits offer:
- Collection, test and swab in a single kit
- Are non-invasive and ease of use for employers
- Can be used anywhere and not reliant on toilets being available as with urine
- Quick and accurate results within 5 minutes
We would be pleased to answer any of your questions. All you need to do is contact us using the following link: